Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Youth Ministry

When someone keys the word "Youth Pastor," then what comes to mind?  In my mind through the years, I have always thought that the youth pastor was a glorified Sunday School teacher who plays games with teenagers. Honestly, many people think this exact same thing, so I wasn't alone.

I surrendered to youth ministry a few years ago after leading drama in Alicia Baptist Church. I had no idea at the time that God was going to take this, and burden my heart for many things that I never thought were possible. To begin with, on the outside, youth ministers do look like glorified Sunday School teachers. We appear for church and teach a lesson in the class, then head out to the service in which we give our announcements of events. Then go home. What people do not see is exactly what happens inside the four wall'ed classroom, and outside the classroom.

The youth that God allows me to mentor and train in discipleship is honestly one that struggles, hurts, and goes through many problems that the world throws at them. It is not uncommon to answer questions to these problems every Sunday morning and Wednesday night  regularly. Try taking on questions like "How do I witness to an atheist?" or "How can I explain my salvation to my parents?" and the most heartbreaking one that I have dealt with so far, "How do I live for God and stand out for Him in this world that hates me for what I do?" The youth pastor then must mentor, train, and guide the student(s) for not just a Sunday morning, but throughout the week for sometimes months.

Throughout this journey God has put me on, I have never stayed up more nights and worried about anyone more than I have for the youth. I sit and wonder how they are doing with their witnessing they tell me about. I ponder how they're feeling when they post statuses or tweets about their faith and knowing the struggles they may go through for expressing it. I cry at the many blessings and the outright love they all have for each other because that is very rare to find in this increasing mindset of selfishness this world tries to push out on them. I sometimes sit up until two or three in the morning texting one of the students on how to get through problems. Not just any problems, but issues of cutting, depression, loneliness, sadness, feeling neglected, sexual immorality, and home problems. Youth Ministry doesn't only involve the students directly in the church, but also some outside as well, texting or calling about the meanings of this world.

Teenagers want to feel belonging. They want to be loved and cared for. They want to know you listen to them and want to help them in any way possible that you can. I would honestly drive hundreds of miles to rescue any one of the youth within my church just to save them from people that may harm them. God has given me this burden to reach out and show teenagers that there is still hope in this world. This place isn't completely abandoned, ruined, and completely marked with sinfulness. There are still people out there who want to get to know them, and want to direct them to a God that knows all, sees all, and understands every problem that they face. God wants a relationship with every single one, not just a one time experience.

Youth Ministry is a full time, every moment, every day, phone always buzzing, running around, rescuing, and tiresome job... but God has opened my eyes to love every single minute of it, and I will not end this until He pulls me away kicking and screaming.

Youth, I love you guys and I want you to know that I'm here to be your friend, and your counselor if ever you need one. Thank you for sticking with me and listening to my crazy personality every week.

- Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment